Free 4 week webinar course.
For those of you with a few Saturday afternoons off in February and want a refresher on bees or are new to bees, the BC Provincial Apiarst puts on a 4 Saturday beginners course that is completely free (funded by the BC government). You just have to signup in advance. He’s a fantastic speaker. (Remember it’s from BC so watch your time zone differences)
INTRODUCTION TO BEEKEEPING 2021
Instructor: Paul van Westendorp
Provincial Apiculturist, British Columbia
This course is free and open to everyone interested in bees and pollinators. The course focuses on beekeeping management through the seasons and places emphasis on the identification and control of diseases.
To sign up, please email Paul at: firstname.lastname@example.org
All we need is your full name, location and the email address you will use for the course.
Four Saturday mornings from 09:00 – 11:30 (PST) [Noon – 2:30 (EST)]
#1 – Feb 06
Honey bees, non-Apis Pollinators, Pollination
• Biology of Bees – casts, anatomy, development, behaviour
• Pollination process, nectar & pollen sources, crop pollination
• Non-Apis Pollinators; Bombus, Osmia, Megachile, etc.
#2 – Feb 13
• Bee stings, allergic reactions, and precautions
• Hive equipment, beekeeper tools
• Hive manipulation through the seasons
#3 – Feb 20
Diseases and Pests
• Honey bee diseases and pests
• Disease detection methods and identification
• Principles of Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
#4 – Feb 27
Diseases and Pests, Legislation
• Honey bee diseases and pest controls
• Q & A